Friday, October 23, 2009

I am not a professional interviewer (see evidence below)

Funny thing about the internet is that it seems like, sooner or later, pieces of every one of your past lives will eventually float back to you. Provided you Google yourself enough, that is. Case in point: the video below, which is something I had literally completely forgotten about until I happened upon it on YouTube yesterday. It's an interview I did with American Music Club frontman Mark Eitzel back in 1988. Of course, my interviewing skills -- at least during this first segment -- consist mostly of me just saying "mm hm" a lot while Mark goes about his business of being dourly hilarious.

This video is the first of seven parts that have been posted on YouTube, adding up to about an hour of unedited footage, including frequent technical adjustments by the crew and Mark and I grousing about the person who was sent out to buy beer being a bit tardy. Probably a bit a slog for most of you, but if you're at all a fan of Mark and his music, there's definitely some things of interest here, especially as the interview goes on and things get a little, um, looser.

8 comments:

houseinrlyeh aka Denis said...

Man, that's just incredibly cool, professional or not.

memsaab said...

lol, so the beer did show up eventually?

memsaab said...

And also? I think I might be in love. With Mark, don't worry :)

Todd said...

Yes, I think that someone finally shows up with a case of Miller during part 5 or 6, which leads to lots of product placement jokes and Mark making an impromptu attempt at a "celebrity endorsement"-style beer commercial.

And how could you not be (w/ Mark, I mean)?

Michael Barnum said...

Todd, I think you make an excellent interviewer! Now I am most curious about this guy.

Todd said...

Thanks, Mike. It was just something that I was never all that comfortable doing. In this case it was easier because I already knew Mark. Nowadays I'm happy that when I have to ask someone a question I can just email them!

And AMC really are a great band, well worth looking into. Mark's solo work, too.

Highway Five said...

Hi Todd,
I think the interview are great and a good send for me. California is my favorite LP of all time and the series of interviews are wonderful. I think Mark is fairly honest and it add to my enjoyment of the record (which i didn't think was possible!)

Well done - great blog.

Todd said...

Thanks, H5. I think it's fair to say that Mark was honest to a fault. As I recall, the record company wasn't too happy with this interview. Seems it wasn't the upbeat promotional tool they were hoping for.