Monday, June 2, 2008

Pictures from awesome looking movies that you will probably never be able to see: Blue Falcon

David Wells over at Movie-Fan Princess occasionally likes to torture me with tantalizing glimpses of incredible looking old Hong Kong movies that have long been lost to history. This time I decided to share the pain. Below are scans of lobby card images from David's personal collection from the 1968 Cantonese film Blue Falcon, one of the wave of "Jane Bond" films that swept HK during the mid sixties, in this case starring Josephine Siao. All I can say is: Waaaah!

(Click images to enlarge)






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Todd for helping me share these! It's a shame that none of Josephine Siao's "Jane Bond" movies are available. She probably made just as many as Connie Chan.

Todd said...

I've seen The Professionals, which sort of fits in the "Jane Bond" category, and, as I recall, it was kind of underwhelming. But I'd love to get the chance to see some of her crazier-looking costumed capers like this one and Maiden Thief.

Anonymous said...

I've not seen The Professionals, but from the screen caps on HKMDB it looks like Patrick Tse plays the hero in that one, with Josephine as support.

There's a film magazine for Josephine's The Flying Red Rose (1967) up for auction on eBay right now. And if you're ever in Hong Kong, it appears that the HK Film Archive has an access copy of the film in their resource center.

Andy Deemer said...

Thanks for posting these! I just tracked down a stellar old poster for the Thai release of Blue Falcon... it's absolutely gorgeous. Between that and these stills, I'm cursing the slow growth of film preservation yet again.

Poster (among a stack of sweet Toho / Nikkatsu Noir ones) at http://asiaobscura.com/2013/01/gorgeous-old-thai-movie-posters.html

Todd said...

Thanks, Dean! If it were any other country but Thailand, I'd hold out hope for a print of Blue Falcon to turn up there, but their record of film preservation is much worse than HK's. Still, you never know...

I encourage those who follow that link to scroll down to the bottom to see Thai posters for, of all things, Times Square, Cronenberg's Rabid and Supersonic Man.