Friday, January 21, 2011

It's the 2nd Annual 4DK Search Term Tweet-a-thon!

As I may have mentioned before, doing a survey of the search terms that bring people to your site can be the precursor to a real dark night of the soul. For instance, I really don’t need to know that a disconcertingly large number of the folks who come to 4DK do so in search of pictures of Aruna Irani feeding her breast milk to a snake. I also don’t want to be made aware of just how many internet users at any given time are looking for clips of rape scenes from Bollywood movies. Don’t they know that they’re just going to end up looking at that same stock footage of a thunderstorm over and over again?

But then sometimes you come across something like this,…

“bob christo sex scene”

…something that it is so awesomely random and unique that it bypasses your capacity for disgust and becomes something that you literally want to shout from the rooftops. “Bob christo sex scene?" Really?

As some of you may remember, my preferred method of shouting such gems from the rooftops is via Twitter. After all, what more appropriate forum for these haiku-like nuggets of raw human expression -- which, like much of the content on Twitter, range from chilling documents of obsession, to cries for help, to monuments to illiteracy, and even heart-tugging expressions of child-like optimism? (Come on people, an “Aishwarya Rai sex tape” is something that will never, ever, ever exist. Ne-ver.)

And so it is that, much as I did around this time last year, I will be tweeting the cream of last year’s crop of 4DK search term excellence over one 24 hour period. The fun will begin this Sunday, January 23rd at 5 pm PST and conclude at the same time on Monday. Those of you with your own pieces of internet real estate, please feel free to join in.

One note: I considered designating a hashtag for the Tweet-a-thon this time out, but then decided that, since I will only be tweeting search terms during that period (and for that reason, please don’t get bent out of shape if I don’t respond to tweets right away), it will be easy enough for those who want to to survey the lot by simply scrolling through. Also, that way it insures the likelihood that those not in the know will simply think that I’ve completely lost my mind.

See you Sunday! Perverts.

http://twitter.com/FOURDK

7 comments:

carol said...

hooray! i will, of course, be leaving my twitter for the duration of the tweetathon!

carol said...

leaving my twitter _on_. sorry about that.

Todd said...

Cool. And, like I said, please feel free to join in. I imagine the Gutter has been at the receiving end of some pretty interesting search queries, as well.

memsaab said...

Okay, I sent you some but Twitter exhausts me. It is fun (the search term thing), gotta admit :)

My favorite will always be the despairing "WHY MADHU BALA CHOOSE TO MARRY KISHORE KUMAR AN ORDINARY LOOKING MAN" though.

Todd said...

I LOVED "the internet site http://memsaabstory.wordpress.com/". That is brilliant on more levels than I can count.

carol said...

i remain most pleased--or least depressed by--"youth activity center helmet" at the gutter.

Todd said...

Yeah, at least it sounds community oriented.