Friday, October 19, 2018

How to be cool

I have long said that Teleport City’s Keith Allison is one of the best film writers on the internet, and now his talent has bled onto the page with his new book Cocktails & Capers: Cult Cinema, Cocktails, Crime & Cool. The book is a perfect expression of Keith’s unique and highly personal take on pop culture, flitting from subject to subject in a way that might seem disorganized in another writer’s hands, but in Keith’s yields one unexpected insight (or, in the case of the cocktail recipes, buzz) after another. It’s also a lot of fun.

How fun, you ask? Well, let me just say that the chapter on lucha cinema contains contributions from your truly—that’s right, me. So it would behoove you to jet on over to Bezos’ place and buy it right now! And while you’re at it, why not throw your support behind another worthy up and coming author? It will make you feel good about yourself.

2 comments:

Dan Kelley said...

As someone who reads a lot on my commute in NYC, I had always wished that more bloggers would put their writings into book form so I could read it without a computer. I bought this recently and have been reading it. I have read the skeleton suit part and began the lucha but then jumped from that to the silent film section as I knew less about that but will return to the lucha afterwards. I have always wished that you would make an audio book of you reading your reviews Todd as I used to love listening to infernal brains and I think your sense of humor gets lost in reading the reviews. Anyways, I am a happy owner of this book and Funky Bollywood.

Keith said...

Thanks, Dan!