Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do Ankhen Barah Haath (India, 1957)

V. Shantaram is one of the most highly regarded directors in the history of Indian cinema. He was not only a master craftsman and technological innovator, but also an artist of conscience who dedicated himself to using the filmic arts as a means to further social causes. Today there is a prestigious film award that bears his name, as well as a commemorative stamp issued in honor of the centenary of his birth. Given this, for me to name as his crowning achievement his discovery of an actress whom I personally consider to be, well, a bit on the dishy side, seems like sacrilege. (Keep in mind, also, that this is his widow that I'm talking about.) Still, to my heart I must be true - grateful all the while that there's no literal concept of hell in the Hindu religion...

Read the full review at The Lucha Diaries

No comments: